The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > How-To

Old 11-06-2013, 01:31 AM

Default Pocket Holes with the EZ One

This is not fancy, but I thought it might give newbies some ideas about how to use the EZ One and some of the clamps that are used with it. Also some adaption of a woodpecker stop.

1. I have my pockethole jig mounted on a piece of plywood. With the sliding fences, it can just easily go on the table. You can see some simple woodpecker stops that I put on short connectors. These keep the jig's plywood from sliding around. You could mount any jig on plywood on the table this way.

2. A look at the stops with connector. Very inexpensive, handy, and easy to use. (These aren't the flip stops).

3. I keep the stops on the ends of the extrusions when not in use. Covers some of the sharp edges.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kreg jig on ez one.jpg
Views:	532
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	5738   Click image for larger version

Name:	another view of the stops.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5739   Click image for larger version

Name:	where the stops live.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	5740  

Last edited by Goblu; 11-06-2013 at 02:02 AM. Reason: attach photos
Old 11-06-2013, 01:48 AM

Default Pocket hole jig

So if I understand What I think you're saying is this piece of plywood with the woodpecker stops is just a method of holding the pocket hole jig in place while you use it as you would normally is just a method to hold the wood baase . I do like the little metal knobs used on the corner stops where did you get those: I'm wondering if that kreg pocket hole device could be mounted on the UEG subbase that I just posted a video . and then put an indexing hole and possibly you could drill the shelf pins that have been talking about. I really think the UEG has so many option.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:59 AM

Default Using the ez one to put together the face frames.

For newbies, one of the cool things you can do with the EZ One is to keep all different sizes of plywood scraps around and use them with the sliding fences (SSME extrusions on top of the EZ-one). For this project, I used scrap plywood that was somewhat larger than the dimensions of the face frame I was constructing (for a cabinet).

1. Then, I use the long clamps in the top of the extrusion on top (the SSME) as a way to keep the face frames square while I screwed them together. Here is where the long clamps are placed. The stile (arm of the frame) is not in place yet.

2. Here's the clamping and it's great with ez one. First butted against the long clamp in the Super Back to Back, then one clamp for each arm (rail and stile), to keep them from moving, and the round kreg clamp to keep it from popping up as I screw. The beauty of the EZ-one for this is that there is plenty of space all around to do the clamping. You can get under the piece of ply to clamp. It really opens up clamping.

3. I also was able to check it for square as it was butted against the long EZ clamp in the SSME. Here you see the clamps from a different angle.

For those who aren't familiar with the long clamps, here's the link to them in a set: http://www.eurekazone.com/product_p/ez1-7stops.htm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	placement of long clamps as a fence to but stile against..jpg
Views:	395
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	5741   Click image for larger version

Name:	clamp setup.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	5742   Click image for larger version

Name:	checking for square.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5743  

Last edited by Goblu; 11-06-2013 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-06-2013, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
So if I understand What I think you're saying is this piece of plywood with the woodpecker stops is just a method of holding the pocket hole jig in place while you use it as you would normally is just a method to hold the wood baase . I do like the little metal knobs used on the corner stops where did you get those: I'm wondering if that kreg pocket hole device could be mounted on the UEG subbase that I just posted a video . and then put an indexing hole and possibly you could drill the shelf pins that have been talking about. I really think the UEG has so many option.
Tom, the stops are called "LPT short stops" and they are on the drill press page at woodpeck.com at the very bottom. About 3 bucks each. The knobs and washers come with them. I just attached them to connector. They are handy and inexpensive. The woodpecker flip stops won't work, but these seem to do the trick. I'm just starting to get my head around the UEG. I'll look at the UEG subbase and let you know what I think.
Old 11-06-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tw218 View Post
TW218,

The Kreg pocket hole jig wouldn't work for shelf pin holes. However, Kreg has a very reasonably priced and nice shelf pin jig. I bought one and used it on a bookcase and really didn't need anything to guide it as it has a do-hickey (the technical term) to align it to the edge of the board. The only real important thing is to get the starting points on each side of the board the same; I believe I used a square for that.

I think with a little work, one could adapt the jig to the UEG or SSRK and probably other things if needing to work further in from the board edges than the guide allows. Although I'd be tempted to just use a long solid straight edge (EZ track) and slide the jig along that.

Roy
Old 11-07-2013, 02:13 AM

I use the kreg shelf pin jig too and it has worked well for me as a hobbiest. I usually try keep things as simple as possible though.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:01 AM

I've used the rockler shelf pin jig, which works fine for one cabinet at a time or so and I agree, fine for the hobbyist, especially when the cabinets (hardwood, not ply) are put together first and then the holes drilled. I was taught to do it that way.

But I'm going to be doing multiple cabinets using plywood and wanted to try making a jig something like what Rick did. Especially because a plunge router seems so much easier than a hand drill for doing bunches of holes. Easier physically, for one thing. Plus, I'll likely be doing pocket holes a lot, so enough drilling already Lots of factors.

I do like the pocket hole jig a lot. I use a lot of recycled wood, so my face frames have often been 5/8" instead of 3/4" and they are a bit trickier, which is why I went to such elaborate clamping lengths for that face frame using the Kreg pocket hole jig. It worked!. Much less sanding this time!

If you joint, plane and rip some salvaged maple, oak, etc. flooring, you can get some nice face frames, but they are usually not a full 3/4". However, I've been able to get them for a song, pennies per board usually.

Last edited by Goblu; 11-07-2013 at 04:05 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-07-2013, 10:11 AM

Although it's designed around 3/4" material, have you tried Rockler's pocket hole clamp for bringing them tight so the screw does not move the wood?

http://www.rockler.com/pock-it-hole-...-quick-release
Old 11-07-2013, 10:50 AM

Katie - I like the pocket hole set-up and the stops. Are the stops LPTSSTOP that are at Woodpeck?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 11-07-2013, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
Katie - I like the pocket hole set-up and the stops. Are the stops LPTSSTOP that are at Woodpeck?

Thanks,

Mike
Yes, those are the ones, Mike. It's an easy, inexpenisve way to do something that I couldn't do with the four small clamps that came with the EZ one, though I like those for other thing really well. Same principle as those (though those are multifunction), but they fit in different places on the EZ one.

TooManyToys, I do have some of those clamps. They work well for some things, not for very small face frames. I've used dominoes in the past for putting together cabinets (not my domino maker, though) but will try pocket holes for the other parts of the cabinets now that I don't have access to the domino maker. I think they may be easier, especially with glue and maybe rabbets, etc. My guess is that these will be great for that.

Last edited by Goblu; 11-07-2013 at 02:30 PM.