The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Material Support Systems

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #41  
Old 08-27-2017, 03:32 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 548
Default

I chopped the legs off and tried attaching hinges with epoxy. Woke up this morning excited to reattach the legs and use my new folding table.

Unfortunately, that was a bust. The jbweld failed under moderate pressure.

I also see why the folding EZ table has angled legs. If they're not angled, the legs will wiggle from the slop in the hinge.

back to the drawing board
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jbweld 1.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	7190   Click image for larger version

Name:	jbweld 2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	7191  
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 08-29-2017, 02:13 PM
Tracedfar Tracedfar is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Balko, OK
Posts: 192
Default

I tried to spec out a DIY aluminum PBB with lots cool features like folding legs from 80/20. They were more than willing to help and sell me every conceivable part necessary but in the end I discovered there's no way to do it at the price point of a Journeyman or an EZ1 with folding legs. Could I make a better table? Maybe for thousands of $$ and countless hours, I could make marginal improvements.

For me, it's cheaper to get an EZ1 with folding legs. The bridge, guide rail, sliding SME rails, and light weight table form a solid platform to build on.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 08-29-2017, 03:14 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
I tried to spec out a DIY aluminum PBB with lots cool features like folding legs from 80/20. They were more than willing to help and sell me every conceivable part necessary but in the end I discovered there's no way to do it at the price point of a Journeyman or an EZ1 with folding legs. Could I make a better table? Maybe for thousands of $$ and countless hours, I could make marginal improvements.

For me, it's cheaper to get an EZ1 with folding legs. The bridge, guide rail, sliding SME rails, and light weight table form a solid platform to build on.
Makes sense, but I've had the table for several years before folding legs appeared in the EZ store

so for now, i'm just trying to improve it. If i had a drill press, i'd try attaching aluminum blocks to the side of the leg extrusion, so i can properly bolt the hinge down. But alas, we try to work with what's available

I figured JBweld would work since people use this stuff to patch holes in engine blocks. First I tried making a baltic birch "adapter" to try to mount the hinges more securely, but that broke under stress too
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 08-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Tracedfar Tracedfar is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Balko, OK
Posts: 192
Default

Maybe try welding. I'm no brazer and I've heard aluminum can be tricky but I know a few who do it.

Another option, maybe someone already mentioned, is rivets. But I'm not sure how they would take the stress, either.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 09-04-2017, 10:11 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Maybe try welding. I'm no brazer and I've heard aluminum can be tricky but I know a few who do it.

Another option, maybe someone already mentioned, is rivets. But I'm not sure how they would take the stress, either.
i'm going to try drilling straight through the legs to bolt the hinges from their center holes

i still expect the legs to wiggle a bit because the hinges have about a millimeter of slack (which translates into a lot of leg movement)

I don't expect the hinges to fail since they're rated for 500lb each (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1)
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 09-09-2017, 01:15 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 548
Default

Forget the brackets. They held but way too sloppy.

Like cutting wood on a water bed
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 09-10-2017, 10:31 PM
Tracedfar Tracedfar is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Balko, OK
Posts: 192
Default

Sorry it didn't work out. I couldn't help but laugh.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 09-10-2017, 11:04 PM
tofu tofu is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: nyc
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracedfar View Post
Sorry it didn't work out. I couldn't help but laugh.
Haha..

I ordered these saw horse legs: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

won't be pretty, but no reason why it shouldn't work.

they're strong enough to hold up a photoshopped SUV
__________________
-Christopher

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -3. The time now is 06:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.