The Track Saw Forum  

Go Back   The Track Saw Forum > The Track Saw Forum > Clamping Systems

Old 09-04-2017, 04:16 PM

Default DIY SSME accessories?

Has anyone made any DIY accessories that fit in the Smart Sliding Module Extrusion using parts from a hardware store (washers, nuts, etc.)? I'm trying to think of a good way to make a taller 6-way stop without having to order Ridged Connector Extrusion.
Old 09-04-2017, 04:34 PM

I tried a washer and bolt but it's hard to get it very tight because it spins and there's no way to hold it in place while tightening the nut.

Might work on a clamp without issue though since the clamping pressure will make the bolt and washer tighter against the track once in use.

*Disclaimer: I know what i'm talking about 50% of the time, every time...
Old 09-05-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by protective1 View Post
Has anyone made any DIY accessories that fit in the Smart Sliding Module Extrusion using parts from a hardware store (washers, nuts, etc.)? I'm trying to think of a good way to make a taller 6-way stop without having to order Ridged Connector Extrusion.
Couple of options shown in the pics,

First two show a piece of 1/4" ply w/a 5/16" carriage bolt thru it; ply is sized to easily slide into the inside width of the SSME. Drill snugly, then pound the square portion of the bolt into the ply. Slide the assembly into the SSME and you're ready to bolt down whatever you want to.
If the carriage bolt still wants to turn in the ply and not hold, use a tee insert like what is shown in the 1st pic. Then, either loctite a threaded stud into the tee-nut and use a threaded knob, or use a knob w/a threaded stud

Last three pics show another option. Couple of washers, a spring, an 'insert nut' (the rectangular-ish nut- don't know the real name), and a threaded knob. Once assembled (pics 4, 5), the threaded assembly can be depressed, dropped anywhere into the top SSME slot, rotated 90˚ so the 'legs' on the insert nut catch the edges of the SSME, tightened up. (Note: the oversized nut shown in the pic might not be needed- I used it as a spacer to make the studded knob work w/out the need to cut it shorter.)

hth,
Rick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3564.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	105.1 KB
ID:	7198   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3563.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	7199   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3558.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	7200   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3559.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	7201   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3561.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	7202  

Last edited by bumpnstump; 09-05-2017 at 10:50 AM.

Tags
ssme 6-way stop taller